Sunday 24 April 2016

Pork and prunes

I found stews a great help. They are easy to make, and, though they take a bit of cooking initially, they reheat really well. This one freezes well which has meant that I make a big batch and freeze it in individual portions which can then be reheated quickly and easily. 
I found fairly early on that cooking big batches of meals that could be frozen in individual batches meant that I could keep it interesting and always have a wide selection of choices to eat. This has been invaluable as it meant that there was always something I wanted to eat, available in just minutes. 
There were two initial problems with stews for me. One is, I felt that they needed potatoes. The other was I was used to thickening it with flour, or mashed potatoes or carrots. All these would increase the GI of this stew dramatically. With the potatoes, I don't add them, but I do tend to include something else in the stew. In this case whole, toasted almonds, in others chick peas or other beans. And for the thickening, almond powder works well, but so does tahini. Because I make so much houmous, I always have tahini in the fridge, and a spoonful goes a long way. Of course there are other options you could use, and I'm sure I'll find more, further along this journey. For now, here is the recipe for the pork and  prunes.



Fry chopped pork shoulder till golden brown. Make a vegetable stock from dried mushrooms, a chopped up onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, maybe some celery, and put this on to boil with drinking water. Meanwhile fry (or cook in some water, if you prefer) chopped onions, till translucent, and roast whole almonds in the oven or in a dry pan.
When pork is golden brown add a cup of stock, onions, tahini to thicken the stock, a glass of white wine (optional but well worth it), cover and cook for around 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add more stock, prunes and cook for around 20 minutes more, adding more stock as required. Add the almonds a couple of minutes before serving and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment