Tuesday 26 April 2016

Chilli con carne

This is filling and warming as well as being low GI. I have found myself making it with lots more beans than I would have, if I was going to eat it with rice.




To make the chilli, make a stock - I use a vegetable one with dried mushrooms, onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and leave simmering. Meanwhile chop up the onions and red pepper into small pieces. Fry over a gentle heat to 'sweat' these and then take off the heat. Fry the minced beef with cumin powder, chilli powder - you can, of course use fresh chillies but I prefer the evenness of hotness from the powder. Once browned, add the onions, some roasted tomatoes and a little stock. Keep adding stock to keep moist. Add a tin of tomato puree and leave to simmer for an hour to let the flavours develop. Just before serving, add the kidney beans and stir very gently. Serve with sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment