Wednesday 27 April 2016

Cauliflower cheese

I really really miss pasta. I'm not sure what is the hardest about this diet. Low sugar, no potatoes or no flour, but as flour is in pasta and cake and pastry and I have always made the roux for the cheese sauce with it, and bread and, and, and, that it is probably flour that is the hardest.

I have really been craving a macaroni cheese, which I'm not going to have, but figured that this would sort out the worst of the craving. I was right, and what is more, I far prefer this version of cauliflower cheese to the old version I used to make. I'm fairly addicted to it (that and the cheesy mashed cauliflower that is just the same thing, just finished off differently).




To make this, break the cauliflower up into florets and put in a microwaveable and oven proof bowl. Dab with butter and a tablespoon of cream and microwave at full power for five minutes. I have never used a microwave for cauliflower before. It stops it becoming soggy. Much better.
Stir in some grated cheese - cheddar, emmental, comte or similar. If making cauliflower cheese, then pop this in a preheated oven (around 200c) until it is golden brown. For the mash, zap it in the microwave for another five minutes then blend until smooth. Just delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment