Wednesday 27 April 2016

Houmous, avocados and nuts

 Ok, all part of the learning curve. I've now realised that of all the nuts you can eat, it's the cashews that are the problem. So all other nuts are fine.

Most of the time the high protein in this food has meant that I'm not hungry, but sometimes, generally if I'm late with a meal or have a lot of work on, or have maybe had a bit too much chocolate or other treats, I have found I'll get hungry. Or maybe it is just greedy since I experience it generally when other people are eating. I have now learnt to always have some snacks easily available to stop me going for the wrong food.  Avocados, houmous and nuts are great for a low GI snack. And you don't need very much to feel full again.



I'll eat the nuts as they are, or I'll fry them up with some kosher salt (I always wondered why kosher salt appeared in so many recipes but recently realised it is just because it is beautifully flaky), or have them with some dried fruit if I'm craving sweet stuff. And I've been amazed at how little I have wanted before feeling full.

Avocados are great too. I generally have one around for when I'm peckish. Very low GI.







So, I finally discovered the secret to really great houmous. I'd tried using dried chick peas, soaked overnight, then boiled. I'd tried removing all the skins, both of which definitely made a much better houmous. I'd tried playing around with the amount of tahini, and with making my own tahini. All this made a difference. Sadly, like so many other things the real key was the olive oil. I massive amount more than I used to use. It really makes all the difference. I tend make big batches now, as I like to have it in the fridge all the time (together with a box filled with crudite - carrots and cauliflower,  mainly as I found that cucumber goes a bit soft if it's not eaten fairly soon after cutting.
Play around with the ingredients to get a perfect houmous for you, but for me, it's this:
Soak 1/2 kilo of dried chickpeas overnight with a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (which makes the chick peas softer and better for blitzing).  Drain them then put them in a pan (or two) and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and keep boiling until they are soft. This might take an hour, might take much longer. Don't have plans that take you out of the house (hence doing a lot at one go).
Once they are cooked, switch off the hob, but leave them in the water. Once cool, drain them, keeping some of the cooking water. If you want, remove the skins. I prefer it without the skin, but sometimes life is just too short.
Mash the chickpeas. Add lemon or lime juice to taste. I like about 5 limes but try with less and adjust. I am now eating this every day so I've dropped the garlic from it but before I ate so much houmous, I liked it very garlicky - again to taste.

Add tahini - I like a lot of tahini, a jar with this, but again, adjust to taste. Put all the ingredients in a food processor or a blender with a little of the cooking water to loosen it and blitz till it is smooth. Taste and adjust!

Eat with crudites.











No comments:

Post a Comment