Sunday 18 September 2016

Eating low GI in Vientiane

I'm so lucky to live in Laos. I love it, and I love the amazing choice of food we have available to us here. From a variety of asian food, to French restaurants to suit every budget, to coffee shops and a myriad of other places opening up daily. I've always loved the amazing foodie choices here.


Loved it till I got diabetes. Since then, I'm enjoying eating out a whole lot less. For various reasons.
Firstly, at home, my choices are extensive. I don't really notice the change in food as I try to make sure my fridge and freezer always have a great choice of low GI foods. This means that any time I want a snack, or a meal, I can easily get this without falling back on higher GI choices. Once you eat out, firstly there is a real restriction on which items you can eat (and cafes and coffee shops are more or less a no no for anything other than coffee or tea).
Secondly, even when there are lower GI options I have to check up on it. Is this actually low GI?  I have to ask about lots of the ingredients, and hope that I can trust the answers. Then there is the high maintenance part of this - I don't want to be really fussy about my food, but I really don't have much choice any more. Something that makes a great low GI option when made at home - houmous, can turn into something that no longer ticks the boxes. For a great low fact houmous, use dried, not tinned beans, soak them and cook them. and then mix them with tahini, lemon juice, garlic and lots and lots of olive oil. But tahini is expensive here, so is olive oil, and the good dried beans can be hard to find - the ones in the supermarkets have often gone stale and it's frustrating to spend the many hours necessary to prep them, only to find that they stay as hard little nuggets at the end. (Incidentally, the deli at Cafe Vanille sells them, freshly imported from France). The GI of tinned chick peas is much higher and if the restaurant or cafe uses the liquid from the can instead of olive oil for loosening the texture, then it'll go up even higher. And this is just one example of how something, made at home as low GI can make your blood sugar spike when you eat it out. Other examples are dressings for salads, sauces on meats, desserts that you can make with much less sugar at home, and so on.
Thirdly I no longer have that big an appetite - high fat. low carbs means I feel full most of the time and it seems such a waste to go out and only be able to vaguely push some food around a plate and then ask for a doggie bag to take home.
All that said, I've found I've had remarkable help with finding foods that will help, when I've eaten in restaurants around town.
 My immediate reaction to the diabetes diagnosis was not to tell anyone. This lasted about 30 seconds into the first time I went out. I realised I needed to check what was in some items on the menu and without explaining why, it would be weird. So I 'went public' on it. And people were amazing. With only one exception, people have trusted me to know what I can and can't eat, and have gone out of their way to help. I've had menu substitutions and suggestions, friends who have cooked for me have gone through the options in advance. And people have been wonderfully supportive and kind.
Food in coffee shops is almost all out, but I haven't minded. Because this diet leaves me feeling full all the time, I don't mind someone having a cake that I can't have. Sure I'd love one of those cakes, but at the moment I'm full so I'd want one later - I just make sure that later never comes.
Meat and leaves is a great way to think of the ok foods. So grill houses, like Pimenton are great, some of their meat with asparagus and poached quails eggs, or the non bready tapas - artichoke hearts and anchovies, or pickled beetroot eggs for example are fabulous. The tapas at iBeam is mainly bread, but the vegetable plate, the chicken, the pork belly, and a few other dishes, work well. Tango, like Le Vendome, do a lovely steak, just have it with ratatouille instead of potatoes. And Philippe from Bistro 22 came over to talk to me about exactly what substitutions I would need, before I'd even looked at the menu. You really can't get more help than that!
Of course changing over from no rice or potatoes on the plate is strange at first. It feels like something is missing, but it doesn't take long to stop noticing the starchy side dish. Except in a curry house. Indian food can feel a bit strange without breads or rice, but again, it doesn't take long before it all seems perfectly normal. Again and again people have been happy to help out, the chiilli con carne from Coco was served without rice, the breakfast at O'Grady's came without hash browns and toast, and the platter at Sticky's without the bread. Everyone has been happy to provide a low GI substitute which has been wonderful. Houmous and Tsatsiki instead of mashed potatoes, or some courgettes and other veggies instead of the potato at Blu. Buffets at Acqua are great as they have so much choice that it isn't a problem, even though I pity the person immediately behind me hoping for some of the beef carpaccio!
Parties can be a problem. Often there is nothing or simply meat available. I've learnt now to eat before I go and make sure to have a bag with some almonds in for snacking on whilst drinking.
Talking of drinking, options are definitely less than before and I really miss a gin and tonic. However, red wine, in moderation doesn't seem too bad, and any dry spirits are fine - just a case of how to have them - soda is an okay mixer, but there are only so many glasses of vodka soda I can manage.  As an alternative I'll occasionally have a Bloody Mary. Seamus mixes a great one that doesn't spike my blood sugar too badly.
Asian food can be more difficult because most of it is designed to be eaten with rice and sticky rice is one of the very worst. Barbecued fish and meat are great, but it can be hard to find much to eat with it. I haven't eaten any Chinese food since the diabetes diagnosis as all my favourites are now no goes and I struggle to think of anything that would be alright. I was delighted when I realised that the glass noodles are generally made from mung beans so relatively low GI and therefore a great option for a noodle dish.
It's easier to eat at home, but it's nice to have some choices out. And, as I've said, people have been so lovely and understanding, going out of their way to help. It's another reason why it is so wonderful to live in this amazing city.

No comments:

Post a Comment