Thursday 7 July 2016

Chicken satay with pickled vegetables

I've now lost 28.5 kilos on this low GI diet and I'm feeling so very much better for it. One of the things I keep doing, though, is forgetting how small my appetite now is. I'm cooking too much and putting too much on my plate. The high protein and high fibre aspect of the diet, with very few carbs, means that I am never actually hungry any more and I always feel like I've just eaten a big meal. I'm slowly learning to cook less, or at least put less of what I cook on a plate at a time (it's always great to have loads to snack on for when I know I need to eat and I'm done with cooking as it stops me reaching for the bad for me stuff. This dish is particularly good as it isn't a problem to eat cold and the pickled veggies are great to have in the fridge to accompany all sorts of food. They are quick and easy to make yourself and you can control what goes in - I'm not a big fan of spicy food, so I leave out chillies, but you could add extra. More or less any veggies that can be eaten raw and aren't leaves, are suitable for pickling. Add some slices of lemon - chargrilled is great, and play around with the spices - we used pepper corns, mustard and coriander seeds, but cardomom, poppy seeds, star anise, maybe even fennel seeds can work well. I like it with dill, but again you can play around with any herbs you add.






Make the pickled veggies in advance.
Cut meat into strips. Pound together shallots, garlic, and chilli. Stir in 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of regular oil. Maranate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Then barbecue.
For the peanut sauce, add to a blender, 250grams roasted peanuts, 100ml coconut milk, one chilli (or more to taste), 3 shallots, 2 cloves garlic, a tablespoon tomato puree and two spoons orange juice. Puree and serve with chopped coriander.



No comments:

Post a Comment